<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d12953572\x26blogName\x3dThe+Thirsty+Theologian\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dTAN\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://thethirstytheologian.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thethirstytheologian.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d4189559808818470353', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
In History, 12-14


Today, in 1947, Christopher Parkening was born in Los Angeles, California.

Christopher Parkening is ranked as one of the world’s preeminent virtuosos of the classical guitar. The Washington Post cited, he is “the leading guitar virtuoso of our day combining profound musical insight with complete technical mastery of his instrument,” and The Los Angeles Times wrote, “Parkening is considered America’s reigning classical guitarist, carrying the torch of his mentor, the late Andrés Segovia.” The great Spanish guitarist Segovia proclaimed that “Christopher Parkening is a great artist—he is one of the most brilliant guitarists in the world.” - Christopher Parkening Official Website

Parkening is by far my favorite musician. I am not musically knowledgable enough to adequately describe the perfection of his gift, so I will leave it to you to listen for yourself. As much as I love his music, I was delighted to learn that he is a Christian, and a member of Grace Community Church, pastored by the teacher who has had the greatest impact on my life, John MacArthur. The Following quote is from Parkening's testimony, posted at his official website.

There’s an old proverb: “Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.” Well, that was the case with me. Soon after retirement, I became bored with my life and began to feel empty inside. It was like Solomon said in the Bible, “Vanity of vanities! All is vanity” (Ecclesiastes 1:1). My “ideal” life was turning out to be not so ideal after all. I needed something more, something to provide the fulfillment my success wasn’t giving me.

During one of my winter visits to Southern California a neighbor leaned over the backyard fence and invited me to Grace Community Church. I decided to go. John MacArthur preached a sermon entitled “Examine Yourself Whether You Be in the Faith,” and he read this passage from the Bible:

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity (Matthew 7:21-23). Read full testimony

Happy birthday, Mr. Parkening, and may God give you many more.

2005-12-14 at 5:00 PM MT | |




Blogger Jim sayth,

I recently read his bio at his website. Neat how the Lord grabbed ahold of his heart and changed the purposeless existence of his life into one full of meaning.

As such a learned and intelligent scientist, you should be able to make a contribution of upmost importance to Daniel's Theorum on the state of stupid in America.

Click here to accept

12/15/2005 2:14 PM  
Blogger Daniel sayth,

Hey, speaking of me. ..

I read the bio - awesome testimony. As a guitar player myself, I was quite moved by his testimony.

12/15/2005 3:37 PM  
Blogger ThirstyDavid sayth,

Daniel, we speak of you often. We just don't usually get caught.

Jim, I have left my contribution at you-know-who's.

12/15/2005 9:21 PM