<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d12953572\x26blogName\x3dThe+Thirsty+Theologian\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dTAN\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://thethirstytheologian.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thethirstytheologian.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d4189559808818470353', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
No Secrets!

James Spurgeon is a survivor of Texas Baptist College, run by Longview Baptist Temple in Longview, Texas. He has a website dedicated to informing people about the horrendous abuse of God’s Word, God’s name, and God’s people that is fundamental in these institutions, and helping survivors cope with the aftermath of their experience.

I have had some experience with Indy-fundy Baptists, but none of them have been anything like the nut-jobs (I’m being exceedingly charitable) that Spurgeon writes about. I thought I had read it all until he wrote this and this.

My first reaction, after sitting, stunned, with my mouth hanging open for a moment, is to feel less sorry for these people. Anyone who lets themselves be controlled that degree deserves what they get. Still, when people are raised from childhood with that kind of oppression, they are conditioned to submit without question. It’s very difficult to change your thinking when you’ve been brainwashed from birth. Praise God for liberating James and others from the grip of that system.

2005-11-16 at 7:00 PM MT | |




Blogger Daniel sayth,

Over the course of three days I read the entire James Spurgeon odd-essy.

At first it was just a curiosity - a peek to see what everyone was raving about - then I read each account with a growing, morbid curiosity. In a short order I felt I had to read it all.

It is interesting too, in that you sort of feel like you know Mr. Spurgeon after reading so many autobiographical accounts.

11/18/2005 2:29 PM  
Blogger Loki Odinsson sayth,

I did almost the same thing. I read a few chapters, then quit. I was going to wait until it was published, and buy the book. Then I started sneaking back for a little more, until I gave in and read the whole thing.

I'll still buy the book. I hope everyone who read it online will buy a copy. It is fascinating.

11/18/2005 4:50 PM