<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d12953572\x26blogName\x3dThe+Thirsty+Theologian\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dTAN\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://thethirstytheologian.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thethirstytheologian.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d4189559808818470353', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Monday Malcontent II

Monday is a good day for complaining. People are in a foul mood anyway, so I might as well get things off my chest right away and get on with my week. A cleansing rant, if you will.

Disappointing Contentment

Last week I decided to designate Monday as a rant day. I thought I would get off my chest things that were irritating me, in order to start the week fresh. Last week’s rant went well, I thought, measured by the fact that I felt better afterwards. After all, that is the purpose of ranting. I don’t actually expect anything to change as a result of my rant. Anyway, I really felt better afterwards for most of the week. I haven’t had such a cathartic experience in a long time.

I also felt quite rewarded by the apparent infectious nature of my rant, as evidenced by my daughter’s outburst in the comments. Her mood was improved for several minutes afterwards, which is about all you can expect from a teenage girl. I was proud of her, and happy that I could take credit for her improved demeanor. Ah, the healing. Fresh, invigorated, and with a deep sense of accomplishment, I was prepared to face the week with an entirely new attitude.

I awoke Tuesday morning smelling the coffee through rose colored glasses. Nothing particularly annoying caught my attention all day, at least nothing that bothered me for any length of time. I settled into my usual routine, and everything was going relatively well. By Thursday, I was becoming concerned. What if I had nothing to rant about on Monday? Would my readers be angry? Would they demand a refund? My ISP had been performing a major upgrade, and had been experiencing technical difficulties as a result. I began to hope for trouble. There is nothing like a day without internet service to really sour my mood.

One of my fears was that, in my improved temperament, I might be overlooking something good. I mean, bad. Was it possible that I was being too tolerant? I hoped that my rant had not had an immunizing effect, eliminating the need for future ranting.

So I waited, but nothing happened. Now it’s Monday, and I have nothing to be irritated about. What a let-down. I feel so empty. I feel… discontented. My day is completely ruined.

2005-10-17 at 8:00 AM MT | |




Blogger Carla sayth,

Well... I could always send my teenage daughter over, to brood with your teenage daughter...

Yep, that oughta do it, eh?

:-)

10/17/2005 10:27 AM  
Blogger unhingedsquare† sayth,

You can also have my teenage granddaughter to make your day too. :P

10/17/2005 5:06 PM  
Blogger Loki Odinsson sayth,

One at a time can be fun. In groups, not so much. I have a theory, which I think I could prove, given the right opportunity. Take the I.Q. of the smartest girl in the group (mine, no doubt) and divide it by the number of girls in the group, and that represents the collective I.Q. of the group. That means that the average I.Q. is 1/9th of what it would be if they were separated. Try it, you'll see.

10/17/2005 5:22 PM  
Blogger Carla sayth,

We have 6 girls, from 22 to 2. It is true, that the more you get in one setting, the IQ level goes down to the lowest common denominator.

I don't know why, it just does.

10/19/2005 4:41 PM