<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d12953572\x26blogName\x3dThe+Thirsty+Theologian\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dTAN\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://thethirstytheologian.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thethirstytheologian.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d4189559808818470353', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Lip Service

I don’t know how I missed Doug McHone’s post this morning, but he spoke my mind when he addressed the current furor over the Pledge of Allegiance.

Honestly, I say that Christians should not be fighting so hard for this. Do we really expect a child who says “under God” each morning will somehow be protected from the social education they receive for the rest of the day?

…Making a room of children use the word “God” once a day in a non-demeaning way does not counteract the teaching coming from public schools, nor does it balance out the times the child has taken the name of the Lord in vain. If we want to have an impact on our schools, we will fight battles that are more substantive and we will do it smarter, not harder. Besides, if our true citizenship is in Heaven, we are under a command to salt the world we live in and should not rely on a pledge to do this for us.
Continue reading One God, Under Nation

He follows up in the comments with this statement:

I was busy last night and didn’t get my post as complete as I like. Where I was going with the hearts of man was intended to lead up to Isaiah 29:13, which I will provide in the ESV:


And the Lord said: “Because this people draw near with their mouth and honor me with their lips, while their hearts are far from me, and their fear of me is a commandment taught by men,


This commandment of men is what we are fighting over. I would like to see the worship of God take the public square as well, but at the same time, there is something counter cultural to Christianity when it is at its finest. At the same time, when Christianity is the preferred religion of government and society, it begins the slide toward irrelevance.


So some people don’t want their children to pay lip service to a God they don’t worship. If I understand that verse I quoted correctly, I’m not so sure God wants anyone to pay Him lip service either.


2005-09-16 at 7:17 PM MT | |




Blogger Anonymous sayth,

If you want your child to receive religious values, send them to a religious school. There's a great Catholic education system out there - use it!

9/20/2005 5:57 PM  
Blogger Loki Odinsson sayth,

I don't want my children to receive religious values, I want to teach them the Word of God, found in the Bible alone, and trust God to save them by grace alone, through faith alone in Christ alone.

For that reason, we teach our children at home.

And since you haven't noticed, I'm not Catholic.

9/20/2005 7:07 PM