<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d12953572\x26blogName\x3dThe+Thirsty+Theologian\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dTAN\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://thethirstytheologian.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thethirstytheologian.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d4189559808818470353', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Confessions of a Newbie Blogger

Tim Challies wrote an article a while back titled You Know You're a Newbie Blogger When… Well, none of his ten points applied to me, so I felt pretty good. Then one of his commenters wrote this:

How bout if you check your site meter 42 times a day, fanatically researching where the viewers came from and how long they stayed? Not that I would ever do that of course...

That got me. Forty-two is an extreme exaggeration, but nevertheless, it fits. What interests me is not so much how many visitors I have, but who they are.

Yesterday, I had visitors from Canada, Gibraltar, the UK, South Africa, Philippines, Peru, India, Ireland, and Germany - and I don't even speak Canadian. Sometimes, I can tell pretty specifically where they are. I am shocked, SHOCKED, I say, to see how many of you are using your employers time to surf the web. Tch, tch, tch.

Several visitors were on the servers of educational institutions, including the University of Mississippi and Reformed Theological Seminary. Is it too much too expect that I may be quoted in someone’s Th.D. thesis?

Many were on church servers, including one at The Lutheran Church Of Missouri Synod. I hope they don’t get in trouble for visiting a Reformed Baptistic website. I was flattered to see two visits from someone at Grace To You (hi, Phil), and intrigued to see a lot of visits from a certain hospital. I can only assume it must be a mental institution.

Why am I sharing this with you? I don’t know, maybe because I’m a newbie blogger.

2005-08-13 at 7:00 AM MT | |